Brief History from
Kansas State Historical Society:
County, named for Clara Barton, contains
the cities of Albert, Claflin,
Ellinwood, Galatia, Great Bend,
Olmitz, Pawnee Rock and Susank.
John R. Reinecke; Henry Schultz; John H.
Hubbard; George M. Berry; William J.
T. L. Morries; E. L. Murphy; D. N.
Heizer; and George Moses organized the
county on May 16, 1872.
This is the only Kansas county
named for a woman.
Fort Zarah was established
on Sept. 6, 1864, to guard the Santa Fe
Trail. The Santa Fe Railroad arrived in
1872 and the
county became a shipping point for
Great Bend was established
as the county seat in 1872. The first
church was the Congregational church in
founded August 10, 1872. The first
school district was No. 1 organized in
Great Bend on June 3, 1872.
Amasa C. Moses in 1872
built the first frame house in the county,
and began a general merchandise store. He
was elected the
first city clerk and was the first
superintendent of schools. His seven sons
figured prominently in the county's
include Governor Jonathan Davis
(1923-1925) and Congressman David Lowe