History from Kansas State Historical
Cloud County was
organized on September 6, 1866, by John
Seymour; James N. Hagaman; John B. Rupe;
and Moses Heller.
The Territorial Legislature
originally named the county Shirley,
supposedly for a Leavenworth prostitute
named Jane Shirley.
In 1867 the legislature changed the
name in honor of Colonel William F. Cloud,
a Civil War hero. Cloud County contains
cities of Aurora, Clyde, Concordia,
Glasco, Jamestown, Miltonvale and Simpson
(part). Minersville was a community that
formed in 1869 after the discovery
of coal deposits. It no longer exists.
Indian raids during 1864
forced many of the settlers to leave the
county. Sarah White, the 17-year-old
daughter of Benjamin
White, was captured by Indians on
August 13, 1868. The family lived on White
(Granny) Creek. The father was killed in
attack, and Sarah was held captive
until she was rescued on March 19, 1869,
in the Texas Panhandle by George Armstrong
The first church was the
Methodist church founded in Clyde in
November 1866, with Reverend R. P. West as
pastor. The first
fair was held in Concordia, October
15-16, 1873, but was not technically a
"county" fair. The current fair is held in
The first school was formed in June
1866, a mile west of the village of Ames.
It later became School District No. 1.
Cloud County had a German
prisoner-of-war (POW) camp was from June
1943 until the end of World War II. Camp
Concordia, which offered housing,
mess facilities, recreation, and
hospitalization, was among the largest of
eight main POW
facilities in Kansas.