Brief History from
Kansas State Historical Society:
Crawford County was
organized on February 13, 1867, by John
Laman; P. S. Smith; James Hathaway; J. W.
Lafayette Manlove; Henry Schoen; and
F. M. Logan. Named for Samuel J. Crawford,
Governor of Kansas (1865-1868), the
county contains the cities of
Frontenac, Girard, Arcadia, Mulberry,
McCune, Pittsburg, Cherokee, Hepler,
Walnut and Arma.
In 1857 coal was
discovered and the subsequent development
of the mining made Crawford County one of
the largest coal
producers in the state.
The first church was the
Catholic Parish in Grant Township,
established in 1868. The first fair was
held by the Crawford
County Agricultural Association,
organized in 1870, but the exact dates of
the first fair are unknown. The first
formed in 1858 in Lincoln Township.