History from KSHS:
County was organized on July 20, 1887, by
U. B. Marsh; A. C. Pratt; J. G. Shoup; E.
S. McClellan; and Frank Hall.
Named for Alfred Gray, Secretary,
Kansas Board of Agriculture, the county
contains the cities of Cimarron, Copeland,
Ensign, Ingalls and Montezuma.
The rivalry between
Cimarron and Ingalls for the county seat
lasted for over two years, switching from
Ingalls, to Cimarron,
and back to Ingalls. Finally, after
a Kansas Supreme Court decision, the
county seat was officially moved to
Cimarron in 1889.