History from Kansas State Historical
Jackson County, organized
as one of the original 33 counties by the
Territorial Legislature, was organized on
1855.The county was founded by
George Coleman; Stephen J. Elliot; John
Dutt; Simon McCrory; Simeon Fees; Godfrey
Hafer; James H. Baxter; S. W.
McComas; Peter Bryant; Preston H.
Humphrey; John James; J. H. Bateman; A.
Arnold; A. G. Campbell; Henry Lueck;
Samuel Newman; S. Stephenson; Isaac
Gordon, and named for Andrew Jackson.
The county was originally named
Calhoun, but with the beginning of the
Civil War the name was patriotically
Jackson for his denunciation of
nullification. Jackson County contains the
cities of Denison, Mayetta, Hoyt, Holton,
Circleville, Netawaka, Soldier,
Delia and Whiting.
The "Battle of the Spurs"
that occurred in 1858 about seven miles
north of Holton, between free staters and
pro slavery forces
was indicative of the struggle
between the two factions in the county.
John Brown and the underground railroad
in the county prior to statehood.
The coming of the Rock Island Railroad to
the county in 1886-1887 was a major
boost to the county. At least one
town moved to the railroad, and others
were founded along the route. Carrie
several saloons in the county. The
founding of Campbell College, Holton,
(1882-1917), added to the educational