History from Kansas State Historical
Neosho County was
organized on November 2, 1864, by B.
Vaugn; R. W. Jackson; Simeon W. Hadden;
Darius Rodgers; Wily Evans; W. H.
Davis; J. L. Gletcher; William Jackson;
Seth W. Jackson; Stephen Beach; and
H. Woodward. The county was named
for the river, an Indian word of which the
first syllable translates "water" and has
interpreted to describe either
"clear water," "muddy water," or "river
with potholes." It contains the cities of
Galesburg, Chanute, Thayer, Erie,
Stark and St. Paul.
The first church was
originally founded at Mission Neosho in
1824, but that was short lived. In 1847
the Catholic St. Francis
of St. Paul Church was founded. The
first county fair was held in October,
1872, at Osage Mission. The county fair is
currently held in Erie. The Harmony
School District east of Chanute was the
first organized; the first school,
the Osage Manual Labor School,
organized in 1847 at the Osage Mission.
The township also had the first school in