History from Kansas State Historical
Labette County was
organized on March 10, 1867, by Larkin
McGee; William Blythe; Finchel Monroe;
Austin T. Dickerman; Samuel Collins;
Jabez Zink; Charles Bent; C. H. Talbot;
Ba. A. Rice; Elza Craft; David Lowe; J. S.
Waters; C.C. Clover; J. F. Newlon;
and George W. Kingsbury. Containing the
cities of Chetopa, Edna, Bartlett,
Mound Valley, Altamont, Oswego and
Parsons, the county was named for the
The notorious Bender
family of northwest Labette County and the
discovery of their victims in 1873 are all
The Methodist church in
Chetopa was founded in 1858 by Reverend J.
B. Barnaby, a circuit rider. The first
county fair was
held either in 1872 or 1875 in
Oswego. The first school district was
organized in Oswego in 1867.